The video above is an older video (2009) but I don’t think side lunges have changed that drastically since then, lol.
Anyways, I chose this exercise because it a simple beginner’s workout that would be beneficial for leg day. Personally I have not implemented side lunges in my workouts, but I still believe it is a good exercise, and from what you can tell by the video, there is no need for weights so it can be done at home with minimal space and equipment.
How to do the side lunge:
- knees and hips slightly bent, and feet shoulder width apart. Head and chest should be up.
- While staying low , take a step to the right while keeping feet facing forward. Extend the left knee, driving your weight to the right side. Flex the knee and hip into a side lunge. Maintain head and chest up & good posture through the spine
- Take a brief pause at the bottom of the motion then extend through the working leg to return to a standing position. Then transitioning to a lunge on the opposite side.
- Hamstrings (secondary muscle)
- soleus (secondary muscle)
- Gatronemius (secondary muscle)
- Tibialis anterior (secondary muscle)
- Transverse abdominus (secondary muscle)
Have you tried this exercise, do you use weights or no weights? leave me comments, follow, like and share!