I recorded an exercise today and decided that I would make it another workout blog post. For some of you who have been following my YouTube channel and Instagram, you have noticed I have been posting more workouts – which is my goal so that when I talk about a specific exercise, I can have my own video to show as an example. Hopefully you have all heard of this exercise before; “barbell shrugs”, if not, you have been missing out on the fun.
Lucky for you, I will be talking about barbell shrugs and you can use the above link as an example of how it is done or you can follow the steps below .. then at the end I will lend some helpful information, tips, and possibly share some thoughts on the exercise itself.
How to perform barbell shrugs:
- Stand up straight with feet shoulder width apart. Hold the barbell with two hands in front of you using a pronated grip (hands will be wider than shoulders width apart) some people may find using wrist straps helpful ( I don’t use them, but they can be used to help with your grip) This will be your starting position.
- Raise your shoulders up as far as you can go as you breathe our and hold the contraction for a few seconds. (Refrain from lifting using biceps)
- Return to starting position breathing in.
- Repeat for the recommended amount of repetitions
A few things to keep in mind…
- Start with a lower weight to make sure you have the form and technique down
- speak with a professional before starting this exercise if you have any conditions or prior injuries
- you may use dumbbells if you do not have a barbell available.
- make sure the movement is straight up and down – not to rotate the shoulders
- slow movements all the way through, no need to be a speed demon.
What muscles am I working on:
I personally like this exercise, I know some specialist and professionals have argued that this exercise can be more dangerous than helpful but I believe if done correctly, it can be beneficial.
Do you like this exercise? how much weight are you lifting for barbell shrugs? do you prefer to use dumbbells or the barbell for this exercise? want other ideas to help the traps grow? Don’t like this exercise, let me know why in the comment section.
Thanks for reading, be sure to follow, like, comment and share.