In dedication to my leg day today, let’s talk about the “Zercher Squat”. How many of you have heard of this type of squat? How many of you have performed it? Well, in all honesty, I have only done it once before and it was utilizing the smith machine. I am no pro at this squat by any means, but it was worth giving a shot. Now depending on your fitness level, you will either be able to do this movement with little to no issues or will suffer and end up walking away from it – for me, I did it with minimal issues but it wasn’t the most comfortable movement in my opinion & watching the video link you will see why.
If you are looking to go out of your comfort level and try something new, this will be something fun and unique to add to your leg day, but if you aren’t someone who can squat then this isn’t the right exercise for you. With this being said, let’s find out how to perform this exercise the proper way.
How To Perform it:
- Set the bar on the rack that best matches your height (above the waist, below the chest)
- Lock your hands together, placing the bar on top of your arms between the forearm and upper arm
- Lift the bar up so that is rest on your forearms
- position legs shoulder width apart (after stepping away from the rack) with toes slightly pointed out. Maintain a straight back and keep your head up at ALL times.
- Lower the bar by bending the knees, until you reach a 90 degree angle, while keeping the back straight (you will be inhaling at this time)
- Raise the bar as you exhale, pushing the floor with the ball of your foot.
- Repeat for the recommended repetitions
What Muscles are being worked on:
- strengthen abs
- build traps
I feel as though this exercise will help build your front squat and can be useful in adding some variety in your workout, it takes some time getting used to the odd placement of the arms on the bar, but if you can get past that, you will notice it really works those lower body muscles.
For beginners, I wouldn’t recommend, unless you have a professional around to guide you and if you do decide to do this movement, it is safe to use lower weight until you get the form and technique down. Also, if you have any prior injuries or conditions, make sure to speak to your doctor before getting started.
If you are someone who will need padding for the barbell while performing squats, make sure to check this item out because it will be very useful for you
“We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.”