Thursday is mental health awareness on my blog.
I make it known to you the different kinds of mental health conditions and illnesses that may be overlooked, looked down upon & hope it gives you some insight – if not insight, then some interest in wanting to do your own research. I have always said and will continue to say, I am all for keeping a mental balance, one that is just as important as your physical attributes if not more important. Today’s topic of choice is “Multiple personality”, many of you may have studied this, or perhaps deal with this condition, and myself, has worked with individuals first hand who have this condition and many others. I might not understand 100 percent everything that comes with this, but having learned from watching, from textbooks and online research, I have learned quite a bit. My hope is that my viewers (you) will come forth and share what you know with me and my readers because I always appreciate more information that is current or will help people to understand.
What is ‘Multiple Personality”
Another word for this is “Dissociative Identity Disorder” –
When two or more identities, or personality states are present in and alternatively taking control of an individual.
- Some individuals can have two and others can have 30.. it all ranges.
“Characterized by a fragmentation, or splintering, of identity rather than by proliferation, or growth of separate identities” PsychologyToday
- “Certain circumstances can cause or stressors can cause a particular identity to emerge, and the various identities may deny knowledge of one another, be critical of one another or in conflict with one another” psychologytoday
- memory loss of specific times, people and events
- possible out of body experiences
- depression, anxiety and thoughts of suicide
- detachment from your emotions
- lack of sense of self identity
- No definite answer but said to have come from trauma (sexual or physical abuse) – developing a way to deal with the trauma
- combat and natural disasters can cause DID as well
- medications – none of which treat the disorder but can help treat the mental health conditions (depression, anxiety, etc)
With proper treatment of this disorder, it is said that many can improve their ability to function in their occupation and personal lives.