We have another exercise post this evening and one that is being demonstrated in the above link/video. We are going to be talking about the Dumbbell flys; how many of you have heard of this exercise and implement it?
Well hopefully some of you have and if you haven’t, that is okay too because this post will give you some vital information and hopefully get you ready to do it on your own!
How to do the dumbbell fly?
- Lie down on the flat bench with a dumbbell in each hand resting on top of your thighs. Palms of hands will be facing one another.
- Use your thighs to help raise the dumbbells, lift the dumbbells one at a time so you can hold them out in front of you at shoulder width with palms facing each other. Raise the dumbbells up; but stop and hold before you lock out (starting position)
- Your elbows will have a slight bend to reduce the stress. Lower your arms out at both sides at a wide arc until you feel a stretch on your chest (breathe in while performing this portion of the movement)
- Return arms at the starting position as you squeeze your chest muscles and breathe out
- Hold the contracted position for a second, and repeat the movement for the appropriate amount of repetitions.
- Throughout the movement, the arms should remain stationary, the movement should occur at the shoulder joint
- use the same arc of motion to lower the weights
- use a lighter weight until you understand the form/technique to reduce the chances of injury
What muscles does it work?
- some strengthening effect on back and arms — not as much as the first two though
Would I recommend this exercise?
Now it isn’t every exercise that I am a huge fan of and some of have their keeps with me and some don’t but I do think this is a good exercise when implemented correctly. We all tend to do a lot of bench pressing and chest press with the dumbbells, but this is one of those exercises that I think gets overlooked for the chest muscles – so with that being said, give it a go, and let me know what you think?
Is there an exercise or topic you want me to talk about in my blog? leave them down in the comments or email me and I will add it to my list of topics. I love hearing back from all of you and have a full list of topics that I want to write about & don’t mind people giving me ideas to add to it. I appreciate your continued support readers! please comment, like, share and follow.
Your Fitness Blogger,