One of the BIG 3 LIFTS!
So this lift will be exciting to talk about because I know my blog has some heavy lifters for sure and people who implement this workout on a more daily basis, but if you aren’t someone who has done this particular exercise, don’t fret, today is your lucky day to learn! The above video shows Scott Herman demonstrating it with the barbell, but it can be done with dumbbells (will be discussed in separate post) so, if you don’t have a barbell, this is one of those versatile exercises. The ONE thing to keep in mind is to ALWAYS do this exercise using the correct form and technique or you will end up injured or with unnecessary soreness. I know I always tell you guys to watch for form and technique, but this one of those exercises it is extremely important because many people do not do this exercise correctly. If you are like me, you should be putting most of the effort in your legs and not so much your back – although you will use your back muscles as well. Pay attention to the above video and the step by step directions.
How to perform the movement:
- Using a barbell, hold it at hip level, with a pronated grip (palms facing down). Shoulders back, back arched, and knees slightly bent. Starting position.
- Lower the bar by moving your butt back as far as you can, keep the bar close to your body, head looking forward and your shoulders are back. Should end up just below the knee.
- Return to starting position by driving the hips forward and standing up tall.
- Repeat for the recommended repetitions.
Now this exercise is easier said than done, pay attention to your full ROM and making sure you aren’t compensating in any way that could cause injury. I obviously recommend for beginners, using the bar only and if the 45 lb bar is too heavy, try using the 35 lb bars or using a body bar.
Muscles being used:
- hip flexors
- back muscles
- abdominal muscles help keep you from folding in half
So for those of you who do this deadlift, what is your max?
P.S I have actually spoken to Scott Herman on Instagram! lol